Monday, July 11, 2011

the job hunt

I'll be honest.  I cruised for the first three and a half months.  Really.  It was only two weeks ago that I seriously told myself I'd had enough of sitting around at home or running errands and started looking for job postings - and now three people have approached me with other opportunities as well.  All it takes is a switch of attitude... that, and finally realizing what kind of a title I can talk to people about.  Following in my dear mom's footsteps, I'm going to try my hand at communications - or what passes for it around here.

I've also finally transitioned into the mindset (long overdue) of applying for everything, whether or not I'd like every facet of the job or believe myself to be over- or underqualified.  Just getting my name out there is a big start.

So this week I'm applying to Ashesi, a university with a liberal-arts background towards more technical and business-related disciplines - although they've relocated 14 miles away and I don't know how I'd commute.
I'm emailing embassies, who may need English-speaking visa application officers.
I've sent in a CV to West Africa Trade Hub, of whom the head of the communications office mentioned they need writers.
I'm applying to be a Tour Professional, whatever that means.
I'm also applying to a Community Management Assistant program run through Johns Hopkins using such essential keywords as "capacity building" and "implementing activities."
Finally, I'll be sending in a CV to a PR company looking to start a branch in Ghana, which may or may not need an agent on the ground.

It's a good start, and I hope just as many opportunities arise for me next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment