Monday, July 4, 2011

Ghanaian Names

Naming conventions in Ghana never cease to make me grin.  Apart from the run of names you hear around most of the English-speaking world, there are three ways this can go, as I've seen it in Accra so far:


1. Names ranging from the old-fashioned to the biblical.  Dorcas, Mabel, Enoch, and a dozen Emmanuels to every one of everybody else.


2. Out-there names describing personality characteristics, or hopes.  Allswell, God's Willing, Wonder, and the slightly more everyday Patience, Constance, Mercy, Charity, or Wisdom.  


3. Traditional naming.  Every day of the week has one or two assigned names for each gender.  Because I was born on a Tuesday, my Ghanaian name is Abena (OBB-nah or, as the caretaker of our building often says it, Abrah).  People on the street who want to address you but don't know your name, if they choose not to yell out "Obroni!", will take a one-in-seven chance and call out one day name or other.  Most commonly I think I've heard Akosua and Adjoa.  If I'm in a mood to respond, I'll say hello and tell them to call me by the right name!


There's a Facebook application that figures out this process for you, or if you'd rather not link it to your profile, just find your day of birth (here's one such site) and match it to your name!  Taken from another blog, I present you with names and characteristics of each day.  I just discovered that both kids in my family were born on Tuesday, but I don't know exactly how well these qualities describe me or Z.  Jens is Kojo, meanwhile.  Our guards often use these names as they roll off the Ghanaian tongue - much easier than the neighbor girls' pronunciation of my name: "Hello Frantchka!"



Males
Monday: Kojo, Kwadwo, Jojo, Cudjoe
Tuesday: Kwabena, Ebo, Kobena, Kobina, Kobby
Wednesday: Kwaku, Kweku
Thursday: Yaw, Ekow, Yao, Yokow
Friday: Kofi, Fiifi, Yoofi
Saturday: Kwame, Ato, Atoapem, Kwamena, Kwami
Sunday: Kwasi, Akwasi, Kwesi
Females
Monday: Adwoa, Adzo, Ajoba, Ejo, Adjoa
Tuesday: Abena, Abla, Araba, Abina
Wednesday: Akua, Akuba
Thursday: Yaa, Aba, Yaaba, Yaayaa
Friday: Afua, Afi, Afia, Efie, Efua
Saturday: Ama, Amma, Awo
Sunday: Akosua, Esi, Kisi
Characteristics of Each Day
Monday’s child is the father or mother in the family; nurturing in nature, dependable and organized, and protective of his/her family.
Tuesday’s child is the problem solver and planner of the family. They are structured in nature, neutral in all matters and never takes sides.
Wednesday’s child is fully in control of every situation, does not want to be told what to do, knows it all, is spontaneous, vibrant and cordial. Be sure not to cross his or her path though…
Thursday’s child is quiet in nature and incredibly observant. They are generally listeners, not talkers, and analyzes situations very well.
Friday’s child is a leader, not a follower. He/she is very temperamental but has a big heart. Generally the instigator of everything.
Saturday’s child likes to take control of family situations. He/she runs the show and make the rules, but will go out of his/her way for others anytime.
Sunday’s child is the passive, sensitive and warm member of the family. He/she tends to be shy and likes to keep to his/her self, but is very aware of his/her surroundings and usually is the secret keeper of the family.


Otherwise, I'm coming down with my first West African cold, starting up with a four-day sore throat.  Taking it easy today in hopes that it fades pretty quickly.  Something has been going around for the past couple of weeks, though.  I'm planning for my parents' visit at the beginning of August, and getting ready for yet another exam at the Goethe Institut signifying that I've finished level B1 and ready to become an upper-intermediate.  That concept is very hard to believe; loads of my upper-intermediate students in Dublin were leagues ahead of where I see myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment