Thursday, July 14, 2011

high heels, flip-flops, pineapples

Since I've gotten here, I definitely interact more with people on the street.  Etiquette calls for it.  I smile at people and say "good morning/afternoon/evening" if I make eye contact.  Yesterday, a wild-guesser of my Ghanaian name guessed it right, so I responded to him.

Another thing I've found I like doing is naming people whose names I don't know.  Our upstairs neighbors have someone in the house who likes to wander around in high-heeled shoes.  She's been dubbed Lady Click-Click.  And the woman who I pass on my way to Oxford Street, who sells fruit of all kinds and always greets me as "my friend," is Madame Pineapple, for the first fruit she sold me.

Speaking of the heel-happy wanderer upstairs, since Monday I've heard lots of hammering on their floor/our ceiling.  The guards tell me they're replacing the floor tiles, which had started to crack.  I do wonder if there's a correlation between the tile cracks showing up and Lady Click-Click suddenly (knock on wood!) toning it way down on the indoor heel-wearing a couple weeks ago.

I'm thinking of starting up an occasional food blog separate of this one, where I post pictures of the stuff I cook.  I'd call it Ghana Gourmet or something gimmicky like that.  Then again, with my photo album Cooking Exploits already on facebook, I don't know if there's a need.  Also, in the tradition of other food bloggers I think I'd be obligated to type up every recipe I cooked - and that's tedious, yo!

Public, would you be interested?  And what's a better name than Ghana Gourmet?

Saturday there's a festival on called Chale Wote, which translates to "Buddy, let's go" and also is the slang name for flip-flops here.  It's a street art and performance festival (as far as I can tell) happening in Jamestown, the historical center of the city which has lately become quite run-down.  It's been organized by accra.alt, which I know a couple local expat bloggers are involved in and I'm excited to learn more about.

2 comments:

  1. I am trying to comment, yet again, and hopefully Google will cooperate. I would love to see a foodie blog filled with fresh fruit and veggie interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Ghana Gourmet, but here are some other ideas just to noodle over, if you wanna.

    Ghanacurean
    Ghana Gourmand
    Fried Accra

    p.s. I love this blog.

    <3
    Jo.

    ReplyDelete