Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bing has no love for SSA...

So, I just noticed Facebook's throwdown.  "Facebook Places" are using Bing maps instead of Google.  I found it in the States, in Ireland, in New Zealand.

I checked out what Bing Maps has for Accra.

Three (and a half?) motorways and a railroad track.



I appreciate that some of the neighborhoods are labeled.  But that's it, really?

I looked at Lagos.  Much the same.

Nothing doing in Nairobi, either.

Rabat, Johannesburg, Casablanca and Cape Town, I am happy to say, had roads marked and usually labeled.

What gives, Bing?  You've got the top and bottom of the continent covered but the rest is inconsequential?  Are you working on it, at least?

In the satellite view, I'm surprised to learn that my house lies in the Bight of Benin.  Not even kidding.



The kicker?  When I searched Bing for "maps," Google Maps was the first result... Bing's own service pulled in at a paltry seventh place.  


I sent some feedback to Bing - meanwhile noting that their feedback box is kinda crummy.  I don't know the word for it, but when words are too long for one line, Bing splits the word rather than moving the entire word onto the next line.

It's not only family bias that keeps me sticking to Google.  That's all I'm sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment