Sunday, July 24, 2011

food post!

Until I figure out a good name for the food blog, here's a food post on the main blog!

There was a mango in our fridge just begging to get out, so I whipped up this Thai mango chili sauce and ladled it over some grouper.  Making the grouper, I broke the grill pan in, too.  Since it was my first time cooking white fish (or, come to think of it, grilling fish at all!) I was petrified I'd undercook it.  But I think it turned out all right!


I can see a face here... the mango sauce is the nose and there's a left eye there as well, then the fish makes the mouth.  Right?


That only used a bit of the mango, though - the rest was saved for mango-mascarpone ice cream.  This is the first really successful one to have come out of our ice cream maker.  I chilled the mixture before putting it in the mixer bowl, and then kept the bowl itself in the old ice bath from chilling the mixture!


It was great to have success in the machine, but this one was way too conspicuously creamy (mascarpone and whipping cream?) while the mango flavor didn't stand out.  Makes me want to atone with a 6am run tomorrow!  Kudos for making me confident in my ice-cream-making skills, though.



If you zoom way in, you can see lime-zest and mango flecks in there.


Last week I was inspired by Waffleizer to try a few things out.  They came out differently from Dan's results as our waffle maker's a flat heart-shaped one instead of the big Belgian-style.  No matter.  I am happy to present you:


Fal-waffles!  Yes, of course that's homemade hummus, with a new trick.  I removed the chickpea skins to make it creamier, just as Dan suggested.  Hmm, this one turned into a face, too...

next...



Kar-waffel-puffer!  (That's potato pancakes, German style.  Potato wafflecakes.)


Tonight I'm on a cooking bent, so I'm also making "Oaxaca fudge bars" (chipotle-coffee-chocolate squares with a cashew topping) which I saw on Food Network this afternoon.  Plus, if time permits, yoghurt biscuits.  Actually, I'll make the dough tonight and keep it in the fridge, so I can have fresh-baked biscuits tomorrow morning (and maybe all through this week!)

Speaking of chipotles, those spicy smoky chilis are irresistible.  Just yesterday, I whipped up some bean-cheese-and-chipotle soft tacos.  Photo's boring, but here it is anyway!



I'm still not willing to stake my name on "Ghana Gourmet" or even "Frankie Feasts" so I need MORE IDEAS!  And quickly, please - this food isn't gonna wait!

How about "What I had for Dinner"... or maybe "And Then I Cooked..."  I like the sound of that, actually.  Or "And Then I Made..."?  "And Then I Ate" is, sadly, already taken.

1 comment:

  1. WOW - such a fearless gourmet... The Fearless Gourmet (of Ghana). Cuisine Courant, Tempting the Tastebuds, Frank's Food Station, Francesca Cooks, All in day's kitchen, Mixing it up with Frank...

    ReplyDelete