Tuesday, April 26, 2011

To-Dos

Jens and I have finally reached a decision on the curtains: we don't like anything the curtain shops here are offering, so we're going to buy local fabric and get a seamstress or tailor to make it into curtains.  The price will be similar, though a bit higher, but it's better to get something we both like for a higher price, than settle for a price that's also pretty high and get something we don't really like.

Both surgeries of mothers went well, for those following that.  As for me, the dentist put some kind of hard paste on the outer surface of my teeth and has 60% solved the problem; I'm coming back in two weeks for a further consultation.  I really hope that next time I don't wait four hours.  I mean, they double-scheduled the 10am slot and the other guy who was booked in at 10 only went in at 1:40.  It's really bad practice.  I'm going back to this guy because I'm now mid-treatment with him, but I won't be back after that.

Easter weekend saw us spend a night at Kokrobite Beach, which is laid-back and quieter than the chaos of Labadi and chock-full of obroni backpackers and volunteers.  We ran into a friend of Aimee's and met a foursome of Norwegians there, one of whom is reading a favorite book of mine.

There are ants in our bedroom!  Jens and I both suspect they came in on one of the plants which we bought on Friday.  They are lovely plants but not worth the anty price.  I've just mopped the floor with vinegar and Vim (a Comet-esque scrubbing powder) and am hoping that will be it.  Each of those is supposed to disrupt the scent-trails they leave so no more will follow.  Next step is giving them cornmeal - apparently they eat it and then it expands inside them... you get the drift.  Also, this means we really need to find a cleaning person soon.  If there's one thing I do NOT want, it's the ants getting to our kitchen.

Jens thinks there's likely not a queen in the flowerpot as they usually stay in the anthills, which would mean this population can't reproduce after their lifespans run out.  And three floors is a long way to come up, on the outside balconies no less.  Still not a theory I'd like to rely on without some proactive measures.

My computer screen's got a pesky loose connection that I thought had been fixed in Dublin.  I have to take it to a repair shop here, which I'm not looking forward to - hopefully I'll be able to tell them there's a loose connection, show them the screen, and trust them to do this one particular fix.  I think I saw a Chinese repair shop around the corner from work; maybe I'll take it there...

Also, we've now got mosquitoes in our bedroom who are feeding on us while we sleep.  We got a zapper light and have been using it for the past two nights, but it's in a corner and not hung very high so it hasn't been effective.

Let the first of the bug woes begin... let's hope they're not bad after this.

Our shipment should have arrived last Friday; we haven't heard from the agent who's taking care of it at the port, because it was Good Friday.  They hoped to get it to us late this week, but we're hoping for next week. It's time to start getting other furniture - a dining room table and chairs, and a TV table!

No comments:

Post a Comment