Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Changes and transitions

Waiting at the dentist to be seen. Today is a day of appointments all over the world, as both my mother and Jens's are going in for (different) common but significant procedures. I wish them good surgeries, quick recoveries, health and strength.

The last week and a half has left me too preoccupied to blog. We are still without curtains in the big window in our bedroom, which has taken my thoughts up recently (as in, every time the sun rises at 6!). Also I've seen the doctor twice; once to test for infection and yesterday to discuss the results (no infection, hooray). Today I'm hoping a Ghanaian dentist can finally sort out these sensitive teeth where the Irish have failed; I really hope so!

Monday night marked the start of Passover, a holiday of change and transitions. More on that another time...

The coming of April has made me realize how much I miss watching spring emerge from winter. Here, sunshine and warmth are a given no matter what month it is. Even during the rainy season, they get an average of 5 hours of sun a day. My favorite part of the year has always been seeing life come from bleakness as the world reminds me of reasons to rejoice. I miss the lilacs.

If anyone in Accra is reading this, I'd also like to extend an invitation to an event happening 10 days from now, on Saturday the 30th of April. Accragio (my choir) is participating in a benefit concert in aid of Japan, along with many other musicians, magicians and performers. It's at the Mensvic Hotel swimming pool in East Legon. The catch is that a ticket costs 80 cedis (or 150 for a pair), but the consolation is that it all goes to help survivors of the earthquake(s) and tsunami. Come if you can. I've heard it'll be great; the choir certainly will be.

Tonight I am missing a performance of a Chinese disabled people's performing troupe which I think would be inspiring and fascinating to see. Denver has a group like this, I think, and I never got a chance to see it.

Maybe some day...

Does anyone know where we can find cheap but modern curtains in Accra? We are going to look at fabric shops on the weekend after seeing 3 mostly disappointing curtain shops already. It doesn't make sense to pay 15 or 20 cedis a yard for fabric that's not something we love, but at some point I'd like to be able to sleep late in the darkness again!

posted from Bloggeroid

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better at all... this April has brought precisely zero spring for us here in Denver. It even threatened to snow yesterday. Humbug!

    I miss the lilacs too. :)

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Lilac-flowers1.jpg

    ReplyDelete