Friday, March 25, 2011

Tro-tro Travels

Yesterday Aimee the Roomie (I'll stop calling her that now - but she will be our roommate until her time in Accra ends in June) took me on my first tro-tro ride.  She's been here a couple of months and therefore is a beacon of experience.

A tro-tro is a public bus.  It has four rows of seats behind the driver's row.  Generally very run-down, but they only let on as many people as can sit down, which is a relief.  The staff are a driver and a "mate" who collects the money from passengers, tells the driver when to let people off, and tells new passengers the destination of the bus.  They are driven recklessly, just like any other car here.  And if you ever want to buy a snack while you're on the road, stick your hand out the window when a hawker walks by selling what you want.  Water, plantain chips, peanuts, meat and fish pies, bottled yogurts, Mentos - all the Ghanaian staples.  I've heard, though, that from April 1st these street vendors will be fined for selling in the streets.  I will have to take advantage of them and take some photos before then!

When Aimee and I reached Oxford Street we heard a mate yelling what I thought was "tet-sev, tet-sev tet-sev tet-sev!"  That was our bus, to the neighborhood called "37."  We went to Max Mart, the only grocery store I hadn't been to yet.  Guess what?  It's another grocery store.  37 has a huge tro-tro depot which also doubles as a market.  I didn't take any photos, though I brought my camera.

House News!  We are meeting LL tonight to collect the keys to our new place!  The internet should be installed today (I know, I know) and I think the cooker's still sitting outside of its bespoke hole in the counter. I am hopeful these things can be fixed today.  That makes tomorrow moving day!

I'll definitely take photos of that.  And I remember now, I still owe photos of the move-out!

No comments:

Post a Comment