Thursday, March 17, 2011

Inconsistencies

Where do I start with a post titled "inconsistencies"? They're everywhere. A house that was supposed to be ready by the time we got here is now going to be done "at the end of the week," and we all know that probably means two more weeks. Taxi drivers say they know where they're going when you ask to go somewhere, then two minutes into the ride start pulling over and asking people on the side of the street how to get there.

But enough about that; I'm talking about inconsistencies I tell. For example, half the people I meet are introduced to my full name while the other half get my nickname. I've already forgotten who has gotten what - this will become royally confusing, I already know.

Also, some people refer to Jens as my husband by default and I don't say anything; it's generally regarded as safer to say you're married. People take the relationship more seriously. I find it easier to do with Ghanaians, though. So when I went to the local internet provider's office last night and they asked about my husband, I had no problem playing along... but I talked to the boss this morning, who's European, and found it really hard to stick to my "husband" story.

I predict I'll end up going with the old nickname as everyone's trying to abbreviate my full name anyway, and I'll start being able to refer to Jens as my husband to people who would be more comfortable hearing that.

At the moment I'm off to Oxford Street to meet with an English expat and have smoothies; after that to the Goethe institut to register for my German class. And then back home to get real internet installed, instead of relying on 3G on the phone.

We have a roommate, I went to choir on Tuesday again, and the new place in the yellow building is making progress towards being ready for us to move in. And it's hot outside!

posted from Bloggeroid

2 comments:

  1. Grandma, Grandpa, Jeanne and the boys are visiting. I'm printing out your blog for them.

    ReplyDelete