Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Photo Post: Senegal, Days 1-3

to Senegal!  Jens went to Nigeria on the second week of our visit, and Dakar the third week.  I'm not ready for Nigeria, but Senegal sounded lovely - and it was.  Day 1 was spent lounging at the pool; Day 2 saw me wandering around being guided by some man who I managed to communicate with in English and French. Day 3 was a ferry trip with Googlers; more on that below.


Sunrise from the 10th-floor hotel room



mask



wood carver



these buses go everywhere



guard at the Presidential Palace





on day 3, I went to the Ile Goree with two visiting Googlers and their families, while Jens was in conferences. We walked to the port to catch the ferry, buying oranges on the way...

and came across a dead fish...


presumably for sale.


Googler one: Thierry with girlfriend Shika



playing on the ferry


first view!


beach football





Here's a bright little fish, marinating in the salt of evaporated water on the pier.










There's me in front of a memorial to I don't know what!


art made from reused garbage





monument to freedom






In the evening, we clambered into buses like the one I showed above, took an hour-long ride to the beach, and got to another island on boats like this:



We ate grilled fish and were treated to local dancing with drums.  



Even the obronis got in on it!



After a long day, we went home.

Tomorrow I'll post day 4, but for now I have to scoot around in a taxi!  Pick up our stuff from Bridgette's, bring back the key to the office, then drop the stuff in the apartment before cleaning that up so they can show it to someone... Life, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment