Monday, May 16, 2011

eh?

After two months, I can understand about 2/3 of what people are saying the first time around.  One thing that always gets me, though, is one specific sound, found in all the following sentences.  See if you can figure out what these Ghanaians were saying as I misheard them.


"Is it wecking?"

"Did you have a good Jenny?"

"Don't forget your pess."

"Are you het?"

"It is benning."


Got it yet?



No?


Here are a few hints to make it easier...

"What on eth is happening?"

"It will be ready on Thezzday."



Any thoughts?  Any notions of what these words are supposed to be?

And just who is Jenny, anyway?



Give up?



My friends, it's the "er" sound.

As in...

Is it working?
Did you have a good journey?
Don't forget your purse.
Are you hurt?
It is burning.

And so forth!


I still have a long way to go before I understand people here the way long-termers do.

2 comments:

  1. Für mich ist das "r" auch mit der schwierigste Laut. Weißt Du noch, wie Du mir das "tr" gezeigt hast? Und ich glaube nicht, dass WIR die Laute in IHRER Sprache gut aussprechen könnten.

    ReplyDelete