Tuesday, August 21, 2012

the festival of noise

Every year around August, Homowo sweeps through Accra.  Translated as "hooting at hunger," this month-long (!!!) festival commemorates the end of a famine some time back in history.  Every night it shifts to another neighborhood.  And the point of the thing is to make as much noise as possible.

I haven't slept well for ages, and was planning to take it easy tonight so I could catch up on some rest.  But when I got home from work I saw TWO houses on our block had set up huge tents, and had cars parked all over.  House guest informed me the music's been going on "a long time" already.

I think my plan's gonna be really difficult.

Crap.


edit, the next day -- it ended at midnight, not too bad in the scheme of things.  better than that time the music went until 2AM in March.  This time, my attitude was much better, too: "I can't change them, so I'll just relax and try my best to sleep through it until it stops."  I did drift in and out of sleep for about 2 hours.  Better than getting myself allll worked up for something I don't have a hope of changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment