Sunday, February 6, 2011

Landed

For anyone who didn't get the Facebook update, I've landed and settled.  We've arranged to stay with a colleague of Jens's who was supposed to move to a new place on Friday.  The place isn't ready, though - there's no running water or internet yet, so we're in a hotel.  The four-star Novotel has a snazzy lobby, but the hallway outside our room smells like mildew and ... well, anyway!

Not to say it's all bad - we went out for dinner to Frankie's, which I'd read about in a couple blogs/travel guides.  Jens had a piri piri cheeseburger that was spicy (thank God, a country that knows peppers) and I got "broasted" (a.k.a. fried) chicken... and ice cream for dessert.  Not very traditional for our first night, but hey, we've got time.  The Guinness here tastes different even to the Nigerian version - more flavorful and less sweet.  But like its Nigerian brother, it has 7.5% alcohol!

Jens will head in to the office first thing tomorrow morning.  The driver who carpools all the Googlers to work will be here at 7:30.  Tomorrow I'll take it easy - might look for a simcard for my phone, might explore, but might just stay in deciding what to do.

So far, the best part is the warmth.  Even though it's harmattan, which I thought was a dry Saharan wind, it feels pretty humid here.

I'm going to miss the rain after I move, aren't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment