Thursday, February 10, 2011

Impressions

First things first: I'm posting from a Blogger app on my phone, which I think is fabulous. For that reason I'll try to keep this post short and sweet.

Accra is hot and humid. The streets are full of people walking and lots of cars. Drivers are insane, yet I've never seen an accident- people seem to slow down an instant before the worst happens. I've seen a bit of bad traffic, but only during rush hours and lunchtime. The part I enjoy the most about the roads is the street vendors. They wander between lanes of stopped cars hawking anything from phone credit to paintbrushes to plantain chips. And they carry their stock in plastic baskets or metal tubs, cushioned with a roll of fabric, balanced on the top of their heads. I took some photos but, since I'm on my phone now, can't post them quite yet.

On the home front, Bridgette's place is finally habitable and we're moving all our stuff over today. On our own home front, Jens and I have been house hunting and found a few places we like, though one especially stands out. It's smack in the middle of a neighborhood, so we get lots of mini market and pub and salon stalls but also a lot of winding side streets to get there. Still, it's a 10-minute walk to Oxford Street, which is a main shopping and eating area.

Today, Google's driver - yes, his job is to shuttle Google people around all day - is going to take me and two Googlers to the African art market and then a cultural museum.

I'm getting excited about this now. We met a friend of Jens's friend last night who told me she'd show me around next week when Jens is off in Nigeria. I'll get to know this place; I've already started learning some of the big streets. Onward and upward!

1 comment: