Friday, April 20, 2012

more confusion.

Well, I've got my residence permit.  Six months after applying, I have a work permit and a residence permit which allows me to work on my work permit.  My case is unusual, but at the same time not so crazy that it should have taken six months.  The bottom line is I had a valid residence permit already which technically didn't allow me to work - but I had a work permit on paper which overruled that.  So the immigration office saw no rush in giving me a fresh one - and to some extent, I didn't either.

The mechanic has just reported that our car is running fine, except for some small vibrations in the engine.  He still wants to find a new head for the car and replace it - but he's bringing the car back to me today.  He'll want to take it back once he finds a new head.  I'm thinking - what's a vibration when we don't know whether we'll be here after another year or so?  It's chivalrous of the guy not to charge me before the work's complete, but I'd like my debt with him to be settled so we can be back in control of the car - then give it back to him if need be and pay him for whatever work arises after that.

Also, we have been making plans to go on a "cruise" boat trip in the Volta Region next weekend.  That's a two-hour drive each way and I do want to make sure the car's up for that.  If not we'd have to look for public transportation.  It's very hard to make plans when you're not sure they'll be possible.  If the car shouldn't be driving for two hours straight on this warped head, I want to know that, and I don't know if I trust this mechanic's word one way or the other.

Anyway, I do have my residence permit, which is a huge burden off of my shoulders.  And we might have a working car again.

No comments:

Post a Comment