Saturday, November 26, 2011

this one's for Annie

I heard yesterday that Anne McCaffrey, one of my favorite authors, passed away on Monday.

I met her when I was on vacation with my family in Ireland.  Though she'd just taken a fall and bruised her arm and eye, she graciously hosted us for tea at her kitchen table.  She showed me star charts and a globe that fans had constructed of Pern, one of the worlds she created.  All of this on the Fourth of July, which was special as she's was an American, too.

Her books introduced me to my love of fantasy and sci-fi.  She leaves a special hole in the world, having been a pioneering author who was the first-woman-to of so many different places.

She'll be missed.  Local buddy T and I toasted Anne's memory last night before dinner with a special glass of Jameson Reserve.  As a hat-tip to local custom, I plan to spill some on the ground, too, to honor her.

To dragon-riding, Talent-wielding, crystal-singing, ever-journeying Anne McCaffrey - may she pass between and beyond in happiness and rest.


Here's seventeen-year-old me with Anne, hiding her black eye behind a Pern star chart.  This wonderful and unique woman was an inspiration to me and my writing.  Go in peace.

1 comment:

  1. And she told you not to major in English...some advice you heeded! At the time we met her she was also hosting a gymkhana in her backyard..

    ReplyDelete