Monday, September 5, 2011

Multilingual taxi drivers

Here's a quick funny story. On my way out tonight, I was looking for a taxi. I headed towards one before I saw there were already people getting into, it and the driver hails me with "Alles klar?" I respond in German, natürlich, because I can. He asks if I'm German; I ask him why he thought I was. apparently I look like someone he knows.

Yesterday we went to a festival in Teshie which consisted of people jogging up and down the middle of the main street in companies with chants, uniforms and occasionally a two-foot-tall can-shaped symbol carried above their heads. We sat down for a beer at a local spot, and Teshie-ites started to come and take pictures of us. Then we were filmed for a documentary; what were our expectations and had they been fulfilled? We took a tro-tro home.

Today while shopping at Global Mamas, the tourist shop geared towards helping local women by selling batik-everything and recycled-bead jewelry at Westernized (oh no, I mean fair trade) prices, I ran into an Esoko colleague who was showing around this photographer who works for Getty Images. How do you even land a job like that?

I had dinner with the photographer, his writer, and their friend who's a fresh new USAID transfer from Afghanistan. It was the birthday of a little boy in a party of 10-plus in the corner and they played an unfamiliar birthday song for him.

It is now entirely too late for me to be awake. Work awaits in the morning.
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment